Written by Ben
Last updated on 2004-02-24
- 2/22/04 (SSCentral forums)
- 2/24/04 (Soaker Sagas)
- Filling Instruction
- Date of Creation - February 22, 2004
- Capacity - ~7L
- Output - 2x
- Shot Time - 141 seconds
- Range - 42 feet
2/22/04 (SSCentral forums)
I now say that I'm finished enough with Leftovers to make a topic about it. What is Leftovers? A homemade PowerPak. I put a 5/64"(just a bit bigger than 1/16") nozzle on it, which makes the output about 1X, and it shot for 2 minutes 21 seconds, that's more than twice that of the PowerPak, and way way more than a Splashzooka. I know what you're thinking, you think I'm lying but I'm not. The range was a big improvement over from when it had a 7X-8X sized nozzle, that got 33 feet, this was at leat 5-10 feet more.
I can't believe how great of a weapon this is. I love it, this and my CPS 1000 are my main weapons now (at least until Threshold is done). I have a picture of it shooting, but it doesn't show how good it is, and I need to censor out my face, so I'll post a pic of it full. The tubing is like a sausage, and it extends at least 3 times it's original size.
Yeah, it is sorta akward when it's that full, I should add a belt to the bottom to keep it a bit more stable, but it's not that bad. I've tried to collosus it, but the bike tubes just snapped, and then I tried something using bungie cords, but that didn't work well either.
So tell me what you think, and wait for the guide!
2/24/04 (Soaker Sagas)
Well, Leftovers I named because of what it's made out of, leftovers. I originally planned to call it Conan II, since I made a homemade before that was similar called Conan. Conan didn't work out too well, but I did learn that I can make good straps from rope by making it. Conan was air pressure, Leftovers is CPS and holds about twice as much water.
I won't say how it's made here, check out www.sscentral.net for that.
Leftovers started as an idea in my Pre-Calc class. Since we spend at least a half of the class going over homework, I was just staring off into space and thinking about the parts that I'm not going to use for making what I call now Threshold, I'm gonna change the name to something else soon. I listed the parts, and I thought "hey... I'm got enough to make something cool...", and then I started assembling it in my head. I originally planned it to be a homemade Splashzooka, but later I thought that it would be awkward to use because I only have a leftover ball valve as the trigger.
Building it was a breeze, my only problem was that I didn't have any more 4" endcaps. I was at a party and I thought a 2 litre would fit nicely in the hole, so I took an empty one and cut off the top to use as the endcap.
At first I used a barbed fitting as the nozzle, I wasn't impressed by the range or power. It had a 7X-8X nozzle, and 33 feet range with a 20 second shot time. Terrible. So, I took what I was going to use as a nozzle storage device for my other homemade, and I used it to make a system exactly like the one in that homemade. I gave a screw on endcap to my dad and he put a 5/64" hole in it, which is a bit bigger than 1/16". My dad doesn't want me to use power tools. The range now is 42 feet with a 2X nozzle, and with a CPS behind the scenes the sting factor is great. Shot time also has been increased to 2 minutes 21 seconds.
When testing the new nozzle, I noticed that a lot of the time something awesome would happen. The pressure of the shot was so high and the nozzle was drilled so cleanly that the stream was almost invisible, I could only see the reflection. Most of the time it's not like that, but it's neat when it is. Since the pressure of each shot is rather high, I tested it against dirt on various things, mostly cars, it washed the dirt off in practically no time.
Then I started walking around and shooting things. About that time a school bus came buy, mine passed an hour or so ago. The kids that walked by stared at it, I think they wanted it.
Leftovers hasn't been in any battles yet, but be sure that if it is it'll rain doom upon anyone who goes against it.
- 3/8" Vinyl Tubing (5 feet)
- 3/8' Barbed Ball Valve
- 3/8" Nylon Barbed Tee
- Tubing Clamps x6
- Latex Rubber Tubing (1 foot)
- 1/2" PVC Female Threaded Ball Valve
- 3/8" x 1/2" Nylon Hose Barb
- 1/2" Female Threaded End Cap
- 1/2" Schedule 80 PVC Pipe Nipple
- Garden Hose Attachment
- Teflon Tape
- 4" Drainage PVC (3 feet)
- 4" Drainage End Cap
- Cut 3 inch, 9 inch, and 4 foot sections of vinyl tubing.
- Solvent weld 4" end cap to 4" drainage pipe.
- Drill 5/8" hole in the side and bottom of the pipe.
- Arrange and attach parts as shown below while installing them into the pipe. Remember to use teflon tape on all threads and tubing clamps on all barbs.
- Attach garden hole attachment to side ball valve.
- Attach pipe nipple to firing valve. Use telfon tape.
- Drill a 5/16" hole in the remaining 1/2" end cap. Attach as a nozzle to the firing valve assembly.
- Open filling ball valve.
- Attach hose attachment to hose.
- When full, close valve and detach.