Water gun spraying wildly from nozzle
Written by TAKrogoth
Last updated on 2000-01-01
A friend of mine had his CPS-1700 break on him. A small plastic grid (filter) came loose and ended up turning sideways within the nozzle of his gun. This caused the gun to spray in a wild fashion. From what I've been told, this is actually a common problem. I decided to take a look at his gun.
After a failed attempt to fix the gun without opening up the grey nozzle end, I decided to take drastic measures.
I began by sawing the grey nozzle about in two parts. If you look inside the nozzle, there is a point at which the plastic changes thickness. You want to cut it so that there will be adequate smooth plastic on the inside of the nozzle to afix the shunt when you put it back together.
When you get it to this point, you will notice there are two plastic filters inside of the nozzle assembly. You will only have room for one of these filters when you put everything back together. You now need to find a peice of PVC pipe that will fit within the grey tube. This will be used as a shunt.
You'll have to use some ingenuity as to how long the PVC pipe shoud be cut. It's length greatly depends on where you cut the grey tube in the first place. Place one of the plastic filters at the front of the nozzle and butt it up agains the orange plastic. Then place your PVC pipe shunt inside that half. Test everything by putting it together as if you were making it permanant. Now glue it. I ended up using J.B. Weld on it.
Before I actually glued it however, the sight of the 20X-or-so aperture began to intrigue me. I *had* to try it.
Well, this first picture shows an arced shot because I hadn't expected the amount of kickback that the gun produced. It almost twisted itself out of my hand.
This second shot shows the stream a bit better. It greatly resembled my MK2 CPS-2000 in range and power, but the stream wasn't as "pretty."
A closeup of the stream shows a beam that starts out coherent, but quickly scatters, decreasing in accuracy at greater ranges.
With that done, I glued it back up. I didn't want to leave it open because in the first shot of the aperture of the gun, the little pink spot in the middle is the actual Main Valve. This is the big one. This is the valve that says the gun shoots or it doesn't. I just worry about all the dirt that's just waiting to get inside and render the gun useless.
The repair went well, and I'm happy to say that the gun made it through SonShine without any nozzle-related hitches. Hope this helps someone out there, if not helping through the operation, I hope it lets you know what you would be dealing with.